If you suffer from repeated skin blemishes, the problem may be due to clogged pores. Many people attribute breakouts to oily skin. Yet, persons with normal or dry skin may also deal with occasional breakouts. In this case, the culprit is not oily skin. Often times, makeup wearers have a problem with clogged pores because they fail to remove their makeup before bedtime. Understandably, late night tiredness causes many to fall asleep without washing their face. Sporadically falling asleep with makeup on may not cause a major skin problem.
On the other hand, if this becomes a habit, breakouts may occur more frequently. Even if you do not wear makeup, cleansing the face nightly is extremely important. Moreover, it only takes a few minutes to thoroughly cleanse the face. Consider the following tips for quickly cleansing the skin and removing all traces of makeup before bedtime.
• Cleansing the face should also include the neck and area behind the ears because oils can accumulate. If you have long hair, pull the hair away from face using a ponytail holder or hair clip.
• First, remove eye makeup. Because some eye makeup is extended wear, water alone will not remove all traces. Rather, choose specific eye makeup remover. Using a cotton ball or wash cloth, apply a dab of eye makeup remover, and gently cleanse the eyes and area under the eyebrow. Clean until all traces are removed. This is helpful with taking off eye shadow, eye liner, and mascara.
* Remove waterproof mascara and eye liner using baby oil or baby shampoo.
• Second, cleanse the face. Do not cleanse face or neck with soap. The ingredients in soap are sometimes harsh and may rob the face of natural moisturizers. Instead, pick a cleanser purposed for the face. Many brands such as Ponds, Neutrogena, and Oil of Olay are excellent with removing impurities and moisturizing the face. Once or twice a week, apply a face mask to exfoliate dead skin cells.
• Prior to applying the facial cleanser, gently splash the face with warm water. This allows the cleanser to lather.
• Apply the facial cleanser, and gently rub into the face and neck. Do not immediately rinse the face. Allow the cleaner to penetrate the skin for 5 – 10 minutes. Avoid applying facial cleanser to the eye area. Harsh chemicals may irritate the eyes and cause burning or tearing.
• Rinse face and neck to remove cleanser, and dry skin with a facial towel.
• Apply a facial moisturizer.